Thread: Turbo Tuning
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2009, 09:16 PM   #6
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyhunter View Post
The dyno comment is a bit silly. If you rent time on a dyno by the hour you can get a lot done. When I was tuning the Grand Am we were on the thing for two hours doing pull after pull until we were satisfied for the night. We ended up tweaking the fuel to where the car liked it, and then added a whole bunch of timing across the entire fuel table for our c16fuel tune, and 100octane fuel tunes.

Dyno time is priceless.

Last time I went, it cost $80.00 per 3 pulls. Of course, if you tune exclusively with the dyno starting from scratch, the first couple pulls will be used up to get baseline readings. After the first pull, the engine will most likely be a whole order of magnitude hotter, which will skew the results. Time is money, so the operator likely won't let you sit there and let it cool.

In the case of my 3400, the main value of the dyno was to show me how good or bad my street / track tuning was. If you have HP Tuners or DHP, you would already have settled on what max timing at WOT is for your car, and how the ambient temps affect it. How did the operator measure AFR at WOT?

So you got your tune lined out on street fuel, then drained and refilled the tank and retuned for "c16" and drained it again and retuned for 100 octane? In 2 hours? You Da Man!