Thread: Turbo Tuning
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2009, 01:29 AM   #12
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
On a turbo tune, you should never tweak the entire timing table "across the board" by a set amount. You should note that (depending on your engine and fuel type) there are certain timing amounts you should never exceed under boost. I particularly do not go beyond 15 degrees advance under boost with my setup in most ranges.

I'm always in learning mode finding new information and evaluating it, and opinions will vary. Spy and Greg, what are your opinions on this?

I also did not get good results with across the board timing changes, compared to tuning selected areas. That used to be the way tuning was done with devices such as a "MAF Translator", which I remember setting for +4 degrees base timing with a contour to (-2) degrees in the higher rpms. The car got more off the line power, but I was running less boost then, 6-8 lbs or so. That was fine, but after acquiring HP Tuners, scans indicated I was also getting a lot of KR at part throttle, midrange rpms.

15 degrees timing seems good for higher boost like you are running. I got more power when I went from 15 to 18 degrees at WOT (11-13 psi), but there were some days in the Summer when running in the heat, the PCM pulled it back a degree or two. I'll see if I can get a screenshot of the timing table I used.

Edit: I hope this is readable, here are the latest High and Low Octane Main spark tables I used. It's a bit aggressive, not holding anything back going for low E.T.

Last edited by AleroB888 : 12-26-2009 at 04:34 AM.
AleroB888 is offline   Reply With Quote