View Single Post
Old 12-19-2013, 10:16 AM   #18
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteV6 View Post
The 4T45E was revised every single year, at least up to 09. I really didn't keep following it as it was relayed information to me. Did the supercharged cobalts get a 4T45? That is my assumption for the upgrades available......

I know that Rossler did a 4T45E build on Schweppe23's GrandAm in early spring of 2005 (which apparently is still functional into the mid-12s). I think the non-supercharged Cobalt LT sedan had the automatic option, not available in the SS, but I don't have the original GM performance catalogs from back then anymore. The LT had the lower power engine.
iirc, Cavaliers used the 4T40 which has similar parts.

What was generally not available to most owners back then was tuning capability, which certainly can affect long-term reliability.

The fact is, the 4T45E is the only game in town for most of us. So if some experienced mechanics and a GM engineer claim better longevity with a performance tune, I will certainly try that. "Bullet-proof" is not a word I'd use for any transmission, or anything with a clutch in it.