View Single Post
Old 01-12-2012, 07:57 PM   #14
Philbar71
GL Member

Philbar71 is on a distinguished road
Yeah Ive though about it. But the noise just started to get worse today as it was about 30 degrees for the first time in months when I started it up. So it could be the extreme cold and just be something simple as piston slap.

Its extremely hard to tell where exactly the noise is coming from. With my head underneath the oil pan I hear it the loudest on the drivers side. Like either no. 3 or 4. But near the passenger side it sounds the same almost, just not as loud.

It almost sounds like something is shaking loose and taping on something. I listened to 2.4 rod knock vids on Youtube and it sounds nowhere near as loud or as bad as that.

The oil was just changed and I drove it around pretty hard and got back and put it on ramps and the noise is either completely gone or so quiet I cant hear it over the rest of the engine noises when its warm.

Are the pistons aluminum in the 2.4? I would imagine so right? So it could be piston slap. The only engine I have heard with a audible piston slap was my dads 5.7L LS1 in his Camaro. That sounded like a diesel until it was fully warm.