View Single Post
Old 09-02-2011, 01:28 AM   #1
whiterider00
GLS member

whiterider00 is on a distinguished road
secret cam swap advice

so im doing the secret cam swap (along with a bigger tb, and lightweight crank pulley) this weekend. i was hoping to get some advice from those who have done it before. this will be my first internal engine work, and im a bit nervous. been reading the haynes manual, and it doesnt seem all that difficult, but you never know. is there anything i should watch out for, or make sure i do? any specific tools or supplies i need that i might not think of?

i bought new chain guides, tensioner shoe, and gaskets for the cam carriers and timing chain cover. hopefully thats all i need. the engine has nearly 200k miles (if its original, and i have no reason to think otherwise), and hopefully everything else (sprockets and chain) are in good shape.

im thinking (hoping) this will be a 4-5 hour job tops. i am mechanically inclined, and have a buddy helping me who has done engine work before (on a honda), so hopefully that estimate is close.

also, another question i had. while the engine mount is out, im going to be filling it with urethane as noted on the aleromod upgrades site. however, the how-to for it isnt done. is it as simple as: remove rubber, squirt in urethane? and is it a noticable difference in performance and noticable vibration in the car?

so, now that ive got all those questions out there, and a little over a day to get a response, hopefully some of the geniuses on this site respond. thanks in advance.
whiterider00 is offline   Reply With Quote