View Single Post
Old 01-13-2016, 09:15 AM   #1
limey
GX Member

limey is on a distinguished road
Remote OK, key not always?

Hi, this is my first call for advice and hopefully.......
Last year I purchased an 03 3.4 Alero in very good condition, only 76K and rust sprayed every year. I have been very happy with the vehicle and found it very reliable and economical compared to my previous minivan.
Last week it was raining hard and on leaving the store the car was hard to start, which it never was. On the way home the door locks began to stutter and the cluster lights flashing on off indicating that the ignition was playing up and the ignition then switched itself off. The car started again without problems and we got home.
I'm finding now that starting the car using the ignition is very unreliable, sometimes the car starts and more often it wants to start but the door locks start locking and unlocking and the cluster lights flash just like before.
The car has a remote starter feature and the car starts without a problem when I use it. The starter has features such as door lock/unlock and trunk but only the start/stop works, which is fine for me.
I have searched the web for information on this problem but only found articles on remote starter not working.
I'm guessing the remote is an after market addition and perhaps there is a problem with the wiring or could it be the ignition? The security warning works correctly.
I have not used the car much since last week so there could be a chance of the the ignition cutting out when driving, like last week?
Thanks for any information.
limey is offline   Reply With Quote