Old 08-26-2006, 12:43 PM   #16
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Quote:
Originally Posted by slalomking View Post
Thanks Spilner, to a 'degree'

I might have worded # 3 a bit more diplomatically. I was probably rebuilding my Rochester 4MC on my Chevy V8 400 before you were born, but that's OK. I understand the benefits of cold air, which is why I have interest in the product to begin with.

My cold question was posed b/c sometimes a cold weather drivability issue (power, smoothness) comes up until a car is warmed up. My Ecotec on a cold, cold day, is not really ready flog for about the 1st 5 minutes or so. The cold ram air could extend this warm up period.

Regarding #2, the pic from the kit's site shows us details normally hidden under the air box that many of us stockers have not seen. The filter's intake end of the cone appears to almost nestle into a fender bulge that looks like a side view of a donut, and that is what I asked about.

People come here to ask questions and learn, not to be talked down to in a condescending manner.

I wasn't trying to talk down to you at all. Reading some text on a computer screen doesn't tell you anything about the person and how much or how little they might know about engines. All I had to go off was the way the question was worded. You're right in that people come to ask questions and learn and some people really don't know how certain things work, so I try to explain it to them so they can learn. I apologize for any miscommunication.

To clear up the #3 question: The intake won't really add much time to engine warm up, if any at all. Before my turbo setup, I had an almost identical short ram on my 2.4 and engine warm up before and after the intake was pretty much the same amount of time, even in the dead of winter, and the past few winters the temps have dropped well into the single digits. The engine will be a bit louder with the intake so the it'll sound as though it's running more rough than usual in cold weather, but only because you can hear it more than with the stock airbox.

And for question #2: Now that I look at the picture again I see what you're talking about. In that picture, whoever installed that intake never bolted it to the power steering bolt to hold it in place, but instead left it to rest on that bulge you see. That bulge is just part of the wheel well and doesn't get in the way when you correctly install the intake. Here's a link to that same intake, only mounted in a Cavalier: http://www.cosmoracing.com/productin...d=130&pid=1357
You can see that when it's bolted to the power steering bolt, the end with the filter is held up and doesn't rest on anything. Also you can look at adjennin's pic a few posts up. He has it installed correctly.

Hope that helps you out.

Last edited by Spilner521 : 08-26-2006 at 12:46 PM.
Spilner521 is offline   Reply With Quote