View Single Post
Old 08-28-2006, 09:18 AM   #19
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Quote:
Originally Posted by slalomking View Post
Thanks very much Spilner, for re-reviewing my questions. Very helpful. All is cool.

In noting the location of the filter, I guess I am scratching my head as to how this setup, and others similar to it, are considered 'cold air'. as the intake is located within the hot engine bay?

In the same vein, for this setup, how is it called a (short intake) 'ram' setup? I definately see how the plumbing is smoother, and less restrictive after ditching the box and plastic ducting, but how is this considered ram air? Wouldn't we need an intake thru the hood, belly, or perhaps somewhere thru the front wheel well (the latter 2 locations inviting a healthy dump of rainwater, no doubt)?

I realize I'm looking at this rather intensly, but when these setups are labeled 'cold air' or 'ram air', I'm thinking they should simply be called 'low restriction' and leave it at that?

Anyone else thinking along the same lines?

Yeah they're pretty much just low restriction intakes. Sometimes they call them a WAI or warm air intake. It doesn't see any cool air at all so calling it a CAI would be false as you said. Air will circulate under the hood so it'll get fresh air, it'll just be warmer than if the filter was placed outside the engine bay.

My idea for getting cool air to this intake is this: Fabricate a box to enclose the filter in to block the heat of the engine bay. From that box, run a pipe the same diameter of the intake pipe (2.75") into the fender like a CAI would and point that pipe out towards the front of the car through an opening in the bumper (behind or next to the foglight). It won't have a true ram air effect but it'll take in cool, outside air without placing the filter in the direct path of water and debris.