View Single Post
Old 07-03-2013, 09:45 PM   #1
fisdad
I do what I want to Sheep & Goats

fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad
Swap gauge needles and get accurate readings

Many have asked about how to swap your gauge cluster needles and still get accurate readings. Here is how I have done it several times with my Alero and it has not let me down.

First thing:

Google what your motor should idle at or get an OBD II scanner to read your rpms.

Let your car idle for 20 minutes or until the fans kick on to be warm.

Fill gas tank to max.

Remove face from gauges so that needles are exposed.

Remove needles with car not running. (Pull straight out)

Start car with full tank and a warm engine.

Place temp needle just above center line and push it on. It should drop back down to center... If not, pull and reposition higher until it lands on center on its own and stays there. Turn key off then back on to verify smooth operation and proper position of the needle.

Next do the fuel gauge. Stock, mine always went about 1/10 of a tank above the full line. That's where I placed it. You don't have to be perfect here. The idiot light for the gauge works as it should regardless of if the needle isn't perfect.

Tach is next, with car running, do as you did for the temp gauge until the needle rests at proper idle speed. Use and obd II scanner to read your actual rpms from the computer if you have one available.

Speedo last. Download a free speedometer app on your phone. I recommend the basic and free one. Also use your gps reading if you have one. Put the needle on 0 and push very lightly. Compare your speed from your dash and app as you drive. Keep pulling the needle off and repositioning it as needed WHILE STOPPED. To get better readings. When your app and dash follow from a steady 10, 25, 40 mph consistently... You're good to go. I've had my speedo verified by my app, GPS and a police officers radar gun. It's spot on. It usually only takes me a couple of tries to get it right after pulling the needles.
My screen name should be changed to Jizzdaddy. I was anally raped by flying monkeys and loved it. I promise to never threaten anyones daughters again because I know it will result in my ahoe being severely widened. - Did Andy just say that he wants to fk my ahoe... ewww. Sorry old man, but you're not my type.
fisdad is offline   Reply With Quote