Thread: paint tails
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2004, 12:32 PM   #5
dadirtybulldog

Quote:
Originally posted by bdyman+May 12 2004, 07:37 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bdyman @ May 12 2004, 07:37 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-dadirtybulldog@May 11 2004, 10:15 PM
i did not prep my tails before painting, all i did was wiped them down with soapy water and dried them, but my tails was only a trial design, i will be changing the design at some time in the future..... for a long-term job, make design and draw off onto tail lights, sand with medium grit paper everywhere where you're gonna paint, then wipe down with paint thinner... then paint.... then clear coat multiple times...
well being that this is a raw plastic and it does need a plastci adhesion promoter
for the paint to stick long term
don`t use a medium grit sandpaper use 1500 or 800 or even use a grey scuff pad
wash the plastic with hot soapy water
then scuff pad or a fine sand paper like 1500 or 600
use the adhesion promoter ppg dx801
let it dry for 30 min`s then base then clear
that what i would do for long term
iam not sayin what you did was wrong but just a few more steps would help
but hey what do i know right
oh ya......thinner on plastic ya might not want to do that,it will eat at the plastic
2 coats of clear will be good any more just causing for headaches
are you using ppg or dupont or just spray cans from pep boys [/b][/quote]
hey man.. i always enjoy your posts... they always helped... like you say, you have alot of experience in body work, and that is why your comments are appreciated... if you're asking what paint i used, it was krylon fusion, with three coats of krylon clear coat a few weeks later... within a coiple of months i'll be going to a permanent design.. :thumbsup: