View Single Post
Old 01-18-2009, 04:53 AM   #59
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99alerogirl View Post
yeah I sawthat when I was searching yesterday, but he said I'm gaining huge flow anyways by removing the leaky resonator and throwing a flowmaster in... and since I'm not really planning to boost it anytime soon, I went with the 2.25... cause by the time I boost it it'll probably be time to change that pipe anyways haha
A little criticism...and I guess I should've posted on here sooner, like before you got the exhaust done

You should've went with your original plan. We're talking about enlarging the pipe diameter by 1/4 inch, from the stock 2" to 2.25" that you have. That's nothing. Yes it'll be better than the stock piping, but it would've been even better going with at least 2.5". And for better flow, the straight through Magnaflow muffler would've been better than the baffled Flowmaster, but if all you're after is the sound, then it doesn't matter.

What was a good idea was getting rid of the stock resonator. I don't know if you looked inside of it when they took it off, but it's incredibly restrictive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheLimits+01Alero View Post
/facepalm im sorry

"2.25" Non Boost
2.5-3.0 - Moderate Boost
3.0 - omgwtfbbq Boost"

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24801
This isn't a small displacement 4 cylinder we're talking about. What you posted would be accurate for a 4 cylinder around 1.6-2.0L. Any larger engine and you'd want larger diameter pipe. I don't know why everyone's so afraid of getting larger piping. It really will help the exhaust flow better and you can still maintain velocity for the low end.

3.4L out of a V6 is a decent amount of displacement and something more like this would be better:

2.5" - N/A, few bolt ons
2.5-2.75" - N/A, many bolt ons
3" - N/A, many bolt ons, port+polish, cams, high compression
3" or more - Any amount of boost
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99alerogirl View Post
well you obviously know it's not broken in yet, since i haven't even driven 10 miles since i got it done, but you get the idea ... this is on a cold engine too haha. sound quality on this camera's kinda jank, so you may have to turn it up a bit. but here it is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Toq3svpHbdM
It's a baffled muffler, metal plates direct the exhaust in different directions. There's nothing to break in. It does sound good though