Thread: Head Gasket #3
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2011, 09:02 PM   #6
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Ya that's what I used, takes off the old material very well.

I remember now that I read the other thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
Replaced that head gasket with a factory GM gasket along with ARP head studs torqued to 75 lb-ft (but left the 2 small studs near cylinder 1 @ 40 lb-ft, my mistake).

That the GM one still blew on this turbo even though it was torqued high. Although the small studs around Cyl one (which failed) were torqued far less... which could've led to that failure. So I'm iffy to trust a GM one with everything at 75, because I can't be sure it failed solely due to me weakly torquing those small 2 studs or because it's a composite/fiber gasket in general.

So I'll probably use a Cometic (probably new... doubt I can trust this used one, especially since it failed, although Cometic claims they are re-usable. I guess it depends on how it failed, I'll have to look) I'm going to use copper spray for sure. The question is, what torque spec to use..

I'll have to look at the gasket, but I assume it either failed by seeping through the multi-layers, or that my excessive torquing flattened the embossed areas of the gasket, allowing coolant to go by with ease. I'm pretty sure Cometic recommended someone against going beyond 60 ft-lb on their LD9...
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote