View Single Post
Old 05-09-2005, 09:39 PM   #43
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
seems like I got slammed on this topic before with no rebuttal.....so which one is it? I've always been taught by my father and grandfather that if you were ever scared you were about to run out of gas, turn off all electrical items in the car (radio, heater fan, etc.) to reduce drag on the engine, increasing the chance of making it further on the fumes....ROFL....I always just assumed it was true.
Quote:
Originally posted by Fast Eddie+Mar 25 2005, 12:09 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fast Eddie @ Mar 25 2005, 12:09 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>The electric fan bit is BS. ITS ELECTRIC so it does not add rotating mass to the engine like the old style crank driven ones. having it on (or off) has negligible effects on the engine. Now if you remove a crank driven fan and put in an electric fan you will notice a diff...
I have serious questions about the positive effects of removing the headlight, Two runs is by no means scientific results.
About half of the other things are minimal, might give quicker revs. The rest are a decent start. The one thing that you neglected to mention was motor/tran mounts, not sure which ones are avail on which combo though, these would also go a looong way t odetering wheel hop.
[/b]

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackJack@Mar 28 2005, 04:20 AM
and furthermore, yes, the electric fan is (all caps) ELECTRIC, hence load on the alternator, resulting on more drag to the engine, and every stinkin bit counts fighting the timer.....BS that.
<!--QuoteBegin-Fast Eddie
@Mar 28 2005, 04:12 PM
The alternator is going to produce a load on the engine as long is it is mechanically attached to the crank, only way to reduce that drag is to remove it (not advisable if you have a street driven car). The amount of resistance being produced by the alternator is also a constant, regardless of current is being drawn from the battery. So adding an electric fan will not produce more drag on the engine b/c the alternator is not a variable resistance unit, its either there or its not.
So yeah BS :P
[/quote]

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote