View Single Post
Old 10-12-2010, 09:40 AM   #18
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by alerored04 View Post
/\ Listen here. I blew my motor a few years ago due to what I believe is the use of a ffp ud pulley. The keyway sheared off my crank gear and the pistons and the valves made contact. The only way I can think of to make a keyway like that shear off flush would be the added stress of the udp. This was before I did the cam and other mods.

Not sure I understand the term "added stress".

If anything, there's less resistance against the crank pulley since it's turning the accessories slower.

The use of a dampener is to reduce a little of the vibration at the crank.

Only things I can think of that would shear off a keyway like that would be if one of the rotating components suddenly stopped. A piston blowing could cause the crank to stop suddenly and shear it off. A stuck valve or timing chain jumping teeth could cause the valvetrain to open with the piston at TDC suddenly stopping the crank, etc. Lets not get crazy here. There's a number of things that could point at in this case. Though maybe it was the UDP that caused it, but unless you have someone perform a professional "autopsy", you can't really be sure which one caused which.

I'm not saying the UDP didn't cause it, but it's possible it was the other way around.

Either way, using a dampener is better for daily high mileage driving.

Mine's a 2003 with barely 60k miles on it, and I just rebuilt the engine. How much do you think it gets driven?

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote