View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012, 12:37 PM   #1
Newlin
GX Member

Newlin is on a distinguished road
Basic Maintenance and Mods

I've been searching around the forums a lot today looking for basic things I should clean/change on my '04 Alero to keep it running well (137k miles) and improve fuel efficiency a bit as well as a few mod suggestions.

I know I need to get the transmission filter/fluid replaced as the mechanic I had look at it before purchasing mentioned it. This is something that I plan to do when my next paycheck comes around and I was just wondering if I could see any fuel economy increase from this?

In my reading I also noticed that cleaning your CAT can help with some issues, is this something I should look into?

I've also seen a few people mention increase the PSI in their tires above the recommended 30 PSI, in my case at least. Right now mine are sitting at 32 and I just wanted to make sure there weren't any detrimental effects from that.

Seafoaming seems to receive both positive and negative comments from you guys so I was curious if I should look into that or just some fuel injector cleaner.

As for modding the car I was looking at getting a WAI (the CAI seems more costly and I'm a bit worried about water getting in). Are they all basically the same outside of the filter? (K&N seems the choice there)

Sorry if some of my questions are answered already somewhere, I've been searching only today so it's quite possible I missed something. Try not to be too mean

If you guys have any other suggestions for maintaining this car (I hope to keep this for quite a while) they'd be greatly appreciated. Just keep in mind I'm a poor college student.
Newlin is offline   Reply With Quote