View Single Post
Old 11-02-2009, 02:06 AM   #1
richthofen
GX Member

richthofen is on a distinguished road
'00 2.4L Hesitation - Help Pls?

New here, so thanks in advance for any help. 2000 Alero 2.4/auto, 156K miles, and I'm dealing with a rather irritating problem. Started about a month ago--the car started idling rough and would occasionally cut off at stoplights and/or going around corners. Got some advice from a local guy, former mechanic, who said that the spark system often causes a miss--I replaced the plugs, issue got worse. Took everything apart again and he tested the coils and coil housing for voltage, diagnosed it as a bad coil housing. Replaced that and the plug boots. Ran slightly better, but still not right, and developed a bad hesitation that's gotten steadily worse. Pulling away from a stop, I give it gas, and the tach doesn't move, car doesn't accelerate, unless I feather the throttle or really nail it. At speed but low RPMs, it bucks when I try to accelerate. At freeway speed it acts mostly normal. Idle is still rough and it still stalls occasionally. Intermittent SES light, code PO172 Bank 1 Too Rich.

Any ideas? I have purchased a throttle position sensor, thinking that might be it, but I'm not entirely sure where it's located. Does anyone have a pic/diagram? Or am I likely barking up the wrong tree? Could it be a vacuum leak, and if so where are the likely points? I also want to do a seafoam treatment (intake/gas, not oil just yet since it's not due for a change) just for the heck of it and the consensus from what I've read seems to be just pour it down the intake on the 2.4. Where exactly should I introduce it? Just after the airbox, or do I disconnect it farther down? Thanks for any advice, this is really killing me, it's kind of scary just to drive to and from work like this...
richthofen is offline   Reply With Quote