View Single Post
Old 07-10-2013, 01:14 AM   #1
906Chase
GX Member

906Chase is on a distinguished road
2003 3.4 GLS Alero Won't Start! HELP please!

So my car has been sitting in the garage for a few days now because of an issue that has "seemed" to have happened all at once. Saturday (and everyday before this) I drove my car like normal and actually went on a small 175mi round trip with it. The car ran great! Come home and park the car for about 2 hours, get back in, make a run to the store (everythings still good). Park the car for the night and wake up the next morning to go to work and all I get is a car that won't start (just keeps cranking and cranking). So I had to take the truck. Get back from work, try starting the car again and it starts right up multiple times over and over again. So I wait about an hour or so and try it again...the car starts again. Thinking everything was all good I left it alone and planned on taking to work the next morning....You guessed it..Wouldn't start! Push the car into the garage and begin diagnosing the issue:

-Turn the key on, wait for dash lights and listen for fuel pump to run (CHECK)
-Next pulled and tested the three front facing spark plugs for spark...cylinders 1,4,5 I believe (No Spark)
-Pulled the Ignition Control Module (ICM) and brought it down to Advanced Auto and had them test it. They ran multiple tests over and over again to get it good and hot (all tests Green lit meaning the ICM was working fine)
-Next I reinstalled the ICM and inspected the coil packs as I reassembled the DIS (No Cracks, weather marks, wetness, etc.)
-Purchased a Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS) and replaced that (Wasn't fun)....After reinstalling the CPS I tried starting again (the car started twice in a row for me but then on the third time it failed to start...note: first two starts were not as easy as usual)
-Next I rechecked for spark and whattya know? all three plugs had spark (with the exception of number 5 having less visible spark than the others)
-Reinstalled plugs and tested again....Still just cranking and cranking.

I want to know if anyone has any clue on what to do next? I am thinking the CamShaft Position Sensor that is under the manifold by the oil filter? but how common is it to have both sensors go at once? and does the camshaft sensor have that much to do with starting procedure? Also if this means anything I have had the common Security Bypass starting issues before (happened 3 times exactly) but this issue has not happened for about 2-3 mths now since I did the correct reset procedure where you leave the key on for 10 minutes until the light flashes etc.. I am really hoping this is not some kind of computer issue. ANY insight is much appreciated!! Thanks guys!

2003 Olds Alero GLS 3.4L, Custom K&N Cold Air w/Bypass, Vinyl smoked corners/tails, JL Audio
906Chase is offline   Reply With Quote