Thread: Amp
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2005, 04:22 AM   #12
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
In all honesty, I would try to ditch the audiobahn's. The dual voice coil 3 ohm setup is pretty bad. As stated earlier, you are going to be limited to wiring them in 1.5 or 3 ohm loads. JL would be the easiest and most affective amp since it will produce the same output from 2-6 ohms. However, the price will be very high. I don't think those subs are worth the cost. Sorry. Research some mono block amps that will do 2 ohms stable at a rms of 1200-1600 watts. That will place you in the suggested range.
You asked if it will out bump the type R 12's. It is hard to say. A couple of factors apply. The type R's are not a high excursion sub, so a good set of 10 inch spl subs would easily do it. Audiobahn is very poor about there stats. They mainly rely on the wattage to sell the product. They don't even put the excursion of the sub. Instead, they put the diameter of the surround. "PHAT 1.75” EPDM Rubber Surround ". This means nothing about the performance. Also, be aware that some brands list "total excursion length" while others list the excursion one way. Supposably, the audiobahn subs have a 95.6db efficiency. No way a 800 watt rms sub is that efficient. It is still hard to find a coaxial or component higher than 91db. I would be willing to bet that the wattage requirements are fudged as well. More than likely a good 6-700 watts rms could run these subs pretty hard. (just like stated earlier in the posts).
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote