View Single Post
Old 05-07-2014, 03:00 PM   #19
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley olds View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but what is bad about using small subs if they are rated at the same rms level? I know bigger speakers go lower frequencies, but don't smaller speaker still punch certain bass notes hard?

All is good, it's not ignorance on your part.

The smaller the sub is, the less cone area it has.

I'll riddle it to you like this. 1 15" sub will punch more hard than 2 12" subs using the same air space (for this example, lets use 2.0 cubic feet). So while you need more room to have 2 12"s at 2.0 ft2, you can be more efficient with one 15" because the bigger the cone area, the more air it can produce/compress. Therefore the smaller cone areas of 8 and 10 don't have the power to compress the same air in a 2.0ft2 box as a 15 or a 12 can. In fact, there is such thing as a box that's too big that it can't compress the air within it. This is why you'll never see a big box with 2 10s in it the way you do with 12's.

So while you do lose frequency at 8, you also lose pressure, and it will take a good box for it to sound near the size of a 10".

The only other way to get good pressure from a small sub is get a square one. MTX makes em as well, but I trust Kicker more.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kicker-Solo-...e m461f6aff0c

Something like this will make you sound like a 10" and you can side mount it where the access area for the tail lights are.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote