Thread: Newbie here
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2014, 09:44 AM   #1
sprocket
GX Member

sprocket is on a distinguished road
Cool Newbie here

Hi everyone!

As said, pretty new here. was lurking around for a few days before actually signing up. anyway, just purchased a 99 alero a few months ago. pretty shitty to be completely honest. bought it after an older guy traded it in at a dealership. inspection just came up and i failed it due to the front tires being dry rotted and no money to buy tires yet. hopefully buying some with the paycheck this weekend. anyway, my list so far of things to fix:

- windows don't work. the clips that take the window up and down are broken on every door. am i able to just buy the clips? or do i have to buy the whole window unit(minus the glass of course)? right now, they glass is literally being help up by blocks of wood the guy somehow lodged under the glass to keep them up snug.

- (very easy) open up the shifter to grease everything up. every now and then when it gets cold up, i have to take the shifter handle off and use needle nose pliers to shift out of park.

- replace head unit. guessing he got a cassette stuck cause every now and again, everything cuts out and it tries reading a cassette and the display shows that one is in it, even though there isn't.

- add an external antenna. seriously, who decided to combine the rear defroster and the antenna? every time i turn it on, the radio turns to static.

- start fixing rust(hopefully). garage i got it inspected at said its rusting in the rear, though I've yet to actually look. also, all the brake lines and fuel lines are rusting so i figure for the lines, and hopefully rear, i'll just use some steel wool and break of any loose rust, throw some rust converter on (anyone have experience with it? does it actually work?) then throw a coat of primer on, and then throw paint over top it all to help prevent it worsening.

that's it for the list as of now. i'm sure it'll grow as i find more issues the guy caused. luckily he took really great care of the engine. only 94,500 miles when i bought it. once i get money saved up and the main issues fixed, let the real modding begin.
sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote