Thread: Engine Coolant
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2004, 10:54 AM   #1
StockAlero00
Hypnotized

StockAlero00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to StockAlero00
I have notice that the past few days, the engine coolant light will come on for a few seconds when I start my car. Let you know, that this has never happened before. After a few seconds it goes back off. I noticed it did this coming back from the Cheesehead Weekend in Wisconsin. I didnt pay any attention to it, cause it went away and no steam or smoke was coming from my engine.

Yesterday was Tuesday and on my way to work, it stayed on a little bit longer, but the warning light went away. So I figured i'd probably need more engine coolant in there. On my way home from work, I stopped at Pep boys, and picked up some Dex-cool, engine coolant. I haven't put any in it, cause i'm wondering should I just add more to what is already there, or do I have to flush out the whole system? When I took the cap of the engine coolant, there was some white/yellow gooey stuff at the cap. Not sure if this is normal or not, and the looks like there is deburis floating around in the resvoir, and the color is like a yellowish orange/brown. It says that the engine coolant doesnt need to be changed till 5yrs, but i'm on my 4th year. Will changing it early do any damage? Plus I wonder if any of those damn mechanics, at those oil change shops, flushed it out before and put another substance that just wasnt dex-cool.

I seriously hope its just i have to drain the coolant out and not have to spend money to get anything costly fixed. If so this will suck. Cause I'll have to wait till end of september, due to insurance, wedding, car payment, license plate renewal all due in september. Ever notice that things go wrong at the wrong time. And i am pissed cause i MIght have to miss out on a bacherolette party to a wdding i'm standing up. Pisser!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! issed: