Thread: WTF mystery
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2014, 02:01 AM   #1
jcoogs
GX Member

jcoogs is on a distinguished road
WTF mystery

So I changed the Lower Intake Manifold gasket (and the front head gasket, the thermostat and the temp gauge sensor) a few months back and now my 2001 Alero has some frustrating problems. To wit:

1. It's throwing a P0135 code. I replaced the oxygen sensor but the code remains even after driving 100 miles. I can't get the car inspected because the Service Engine Soon light is on.

2. The cooling system is giving me trouble. The temperature goes up past the halfway point, especially after turning the car off and then starting it soon after. I bled the system and that does seem to have made a significant difference but the temperature is still creeping upwards, although not so high as before. The thing is that I do not observe the fans coming on at all. When exactly are they supposed to come on? Can anyone recommend a good video on bleeding the system? I ran the car with the radiator cap off. I opened the bleeder while squeezing the radiator hose. Perhaps I'm doing it wrong?

3. I'm wondering if the culprit might have something to do with a small gas leak I've noticed coming from the fuel rail. When I was changing the gaskets, I saw that the washer that fits inside one of the fuel rails was broken. Being pressed for time and not wanting to purchase a stupid washer from Auto Zone for $25 that they didn't even have in stock, I replaced it with a washer that_looked_like it was the same size. Now, I see (and smell) that there is a leak there. Could that be causing the problem with the oxygen sensor and (perhaps more improbably) the temperature?
jcoogs is offline   Reply With Quote