View Single Post
Old 10-04-2017, 08:31 PM   #8
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
There's a positive wire that looks like a ground on the 2.4L. I accidentally connected it to a grounded location once. Might be the case on the 2.2L as well. There shouldn't need to be a strap connecting the block to head since the head bolts and timing cover bolts etc. are connecting them pretty solidly.

Could just be a broken wire in a circuit somewhere. I would suggest the ICM wires just as a wild guess. I had an injector whose soldered connections broke and caused an intermittent open circuit causing a misfire on one cylinder recently. Anything relating to the spark or fuel will cause misfires. When it's random, it's got to be something that has the potential to affect all of them, so it's not going to be spark plug wires or an injector.

Could be a clogged fuel filter or faulty pump, but difficult to diagnose while driving, I know. If you lose fuel pressure intermittently it could cause a misfire across all cylinders.

@03Alerosil the camshafts don't have solenoid valves, lol. The sensor that detects pulses from the camshaft to determine its position/RPM could be faulty, though.

Hit up the dealer. I'd be very curious to see what it is. I'd be leaning toward a bad ground of some sort making it either difficult for the spark to occur or the fuel injectors to open. An air-fuel ratio gauge would help determine if when it's running rough it's lean or rich which would let us know whether the fuel or spark is having trouble.

When my injector 3 had an open circuit my AFRs were off the chart lean during the misfires. If the spark was at fault, it'd be richer than usual.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote