View Single Post
Old 04-03-2004, 11:59 AM   #1
Naich
The Founder

Naich is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Naich
Q: What is a CAI or Cold Air Intake? What does it do?
A: A Cold Air Intake (CAI for short) is a more efficient way to deliver oxygen to your engine. As you probably know, your engine requires fuel and oxygen to run. Generally, the more oxygen your car has to burn, the more efficient the engine will be. CAI's replace your factory air box and plumbing with a cone filter like a K&N filter and larger diameter tubing. Most CAI systems route the filter to behind the fender, where it can get cool air from outside the engine compartment. Generally, colder air has more molecules of oxygen per unit volume (it is more dense) than hot air.

Q: Okay, but how much performance should I gain by installing a CAI?
A: That really depends on what other mods you do, and what kind of setup you install. I'd say the average gain with a CAI setup is somewhere between 3 and 7 horsepower. Claims of 20+ horsepower from a CAI are generally BS.

Q: How hard are they to install?
A: If you buy a kit made for an Alero or Grand Am, installation is pretty easy. You will need a socket set, a screwdriver set, and some plyers. It is more of a time-consuming installation than a difficult one.

Q: Who sells CAI's for Aleros?
A: Several manufacturers sell CAI kits for Aleros. I'll do my best to make a list, anyone else who has anything to add may do so. Each engine has a different type of CAI. If you don't know what engine you have, you probably shouldn't be thinking of modding it... but you can tell by opening your hood and looking at the numbers on the engine's upper intake.

Q: Can I make my own for cheaper?
A: Sure you can... I will provide instructions by our members on how to make your own. However, fit and finish might not be up to par with the pre-made kits, and you will have to do a little cutting and such to get it to work correctly.

Q: Isn't a WAI (Warm Air Intake) better than a CAI? Aren't they safer?
A: They are definately safer. With Cold Air Intakes, you run the small risk of sucking water into your intake. This can cause many problems... It is not very common to happen, but it can, especially if the front of your car gets submerged in a really deep puddle for an extended period of time. Some have argued that WAI gives you more HP than a CAI. I have not seen any concrete proof of that claim, and it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense, except that the shorter distance for air to flow could make for better throttle response. I still maintain that a CAI setup is superior to a WAI setup.

3400 Engine-
American Performance of Colorado Their prices are $165-$205
Doctorspeed Their cost is $190 for the CAI, but they also offer 2 types of WAIs from $60-$120
RSM Racing Offers a WAI setup for $150

2.4L Twin Cam
Induction Dynamics offers a CAI for $265
RSM Racing offers a WAI setup for $199

2.2L Ecotec
Induction Dynamics offers a CAI for $315
... will continue later

Naich is offline   Reply With Quote