View Single Post
Old 09-26-2007, 03:14 PM   #16
Daytona
ALEROMOD RAPIST

Daytona is on a distinguished road
Subs in the back are going to make a big difference as I've said before. Is your car a stick or auto? And what are you (or the car, if it's an auto & you left it to shift on it's own) shifting at @ each gear change?

There's a sticky on how to get the quickest ETs but a few quick points for you, assuming it's an auto trans:
1) Run the car in 3rd gear, NOT Drive or O/D.
2) Watch where the car wants to shift at Wide-Open Throttle (WOT) during this run.
3) Next run, manually shift 200 RPM above this.
4) Next next run shift 400 RPM above Auto WOT Shifts and see if this further increases or decreases ET from runs 1 and 2.
For bracket racing where consistency is more important than speed I always leave my car in 3rd and let it shift on its own. It'll be .25 - .4 secs quicker than leaving it in "D" or "O/D" because of pressure points in the trans. Manually shifting it I can pick up an additional couple of tenths but prefer the greater consistency of the car shifting on its own.

Also, make sure the transmission has had time to cool down between runs. It takes the trans longer to cool than the engine, believe it or not, because although it doesn't get as hot as the engine there's no fan to cool the trans fluid like there is radiator for the engine. The cooler the trans the better your ETs, all else remaining equal.

Last edited by Daytona : 09-26-2007 at 03:19 PM.
Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote