View Single Post
Old 02-09-2016, 04:49 AM   #1
Bahlzeron
GX Member

Bahlzeron is on a distinguished road
WOOHOO! aluminum control arms

Saturday I was at the junkyard grabbing a set of hood struts and hinge assembly (the hood I got a couple months back from same junkyard is a replacement with both the strut studs and hole for prop rod) I decided to look around for the alum. control arms I managed to find a pair, so Sunday me and a buddy went back and half an hour later had em off. At ~$25 each + $4.50 core each I couldn't turn that deal down. Earlier tonight I ordered new ball joints, and poly bushings. The junkyard doesn't differentiate between steel and aluminum control arms so I can bring back my old steel ones for the core charge.
The OE ball joints are riveted on so I gotta grind the heads off the rivets and punch em out (no big deal, pretty easy), I'll probably use a Dremel to do the grinding (I think I have an angle grinder in the storage unit, gonna have to see if it even works). Thursday is my B-day, so I took Friday off.. got nothin to do but drink and grind rivets!...lol. I'll grind the heads off on the ball joint steel plate side so I don't mess up the aluminum arms, even though the other side would be the easier side to get to.

Prothane 7-234 bushings

MOOG 6701 ball joint sold each need two (ouch expensive!)

Any way I know, I know, you want pics!

The ridge in the second pic, is that a retainer for the original bushing that needs to come out, or is it part of the arm? It looks like part of the arm to me.
Bahlzeron is offline   Reply With Quote