Thread: Ugh
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2005, 11:02 PM   #2
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
If you are looking for a classic wood look to the sub, try vaneer. I don't know how familiar yuo are with wood working ( one of my favorite hobbies ) but vaneer is thin sliced wood that can be glued on to a surface. Most common vaneers are long slices of the trunk that can range up to eight feet by four feet and are 1/32 thick. However, my favorite is 1/16 to 1/8 burl cuts. These are the cuts made from the trunk of a tree and have the knotty appearance.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...7334253731&rd=1
You can find good prices on ebay and make a very nice sub box. As long as you have a router and use a double contact cement (found at wal-mart) you are good to go.
As for your speakers. It is hard to suggest a fix without knowing exactly what you are encountering. Can you take a pic of what you want to cut?
What type of sound is coming from your tweets? I am assuming you are refering to the new components. Where did you put the crossovers? Are they in the doors? If you have the door panels off, then pull the wires coming from the crossovers to the tweets away from the door. Did the noise go away. If so, you are getting electrical interference. I wrap my wires in aluminum foil (the two foot long sheets) and ground it to the door frame. This acts as a shield from interference. Another issue may be the HU preouts. If your amp excepts a lower input voltage than what your HU produces it can easily get a pre amp "humming" that only goes away by decreasing the gains. What is your HU out put and your amp input rated for? If it is too high, you can purchase a line level attenuator from sound domain. It reduces the voltage of your HU to match the amp. I have to use one on my older eclipse amp and nakamichi amp with the 8 volt HU's.
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote