Thread: tranny blew up
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2008, 09:05 PM   #1
greenbastard
GL Member

greenbastard is an unknown quantity at this point
tranny blew up

i managed to blow up two front differentals in one day. how i managed that i don't know. it all began tuesday night when my buddies car died behind my garage. his battery shorted out on the hood and blew his coil packs. i drove him home in my 4WD Tercel Wagon and got him home at about 12pm wednesday morning. as i left my from tire spun on the ice, hit the pavement and blew the gears out of the front diff. it doesn't have a cover anymore. i the put it in 4WD and had RWD which was cool. i drifted home on the grid roads and got a flat. i didn't care so i drove it for two kms until the tire started to hit the body. i change the tire and drifted home on the icy streets. a few hours later when i woke up i went and found another tranny for my wagon and then took the alero out and drove to superstore. my tranny had minor slipping in the alero. on the highway it wouldn;t down shift into 3rd (2.4l auto) and would just rev up and catch some after a while. this didn't happen alot. as i left superstore i drove down the main highway at 80km i heard boom ting ting ting. i thought i kicked up a rock and hit my under carriage but i looked in the rear view to see the gear from my diff bouncing down the road. i wasn't even on the gas. i had nothing and coasted towards my house. my buddies and i pushed it home cuz i was three blocks away. i have a huge hole undernieth the diff beside the passenger cv shaft. i then took the wagon which still drives and picked up a used tranny with 100,000kms for $550. my alero only had 140,000kms. i'm not happy. have to fix two trannys, broke and owe $1300 in taxes. i'm gonna be tight on cash for a bit, but i'll do it all myself so i save alot.