View Single Post
Old 06-14-2011, 06:03 PM   #1
Brad Jahnke

LED turn signals with load regulators

This is my first attempt at writing a how to. I apologize for the quality of the photos as the only camera I have is on my phone. Also, this writeup was written on my phone, so if you have any additional questions, please feel free to message me.

Steps for converting turn signals from incandescent bulbs to LED bulbs with load regulators.

Front turn signals:

1.) Remove your headlight fixture by lifting the two clips on the top of the assembly.

2.) Remove the power plug and the bulbs from the assembly.

3.) Remove the plastic shielding from around your turn signal wires.

4.) The blue wire is positive and the black wire (or grey in some cases) is ground. Clip one end of your regulator and your ground wire together.

5.) Clip the other wire on the regulator to the positive (blue) wire.

6.) Find a suitable mounting spot for the regulator itself. I used high heat double sided sticky tape from 3M and just stuck it to the underside of my bumper. Just remember, the regulators do get hot and if you don't use high heat tape, you'll have a dangling regulator.

7.) Reinstall the bulbs, reconnect the power and reinstall your headlight assembly.

8.) Repeat this step by step for the other side.

Rear turn signals:

1.) Remove the two screw caps holding the fabric against your trunk.

2.) Remove the three plastic wingnuts holding your outer taillight in place.

3.) Remove the bulbs from the fixture, the one with the white plastic is your turn signal. It has 2 wires - one black, one blue - going into it.

4. As with the front signals, blue is positive, black is negative. Clip one end of the regulator to the blue wire.

5.) Clip the other end of the regulator to the black wire.

6.) Mount your regulator with the double sided high heat tape. I mounted mine right below where the taillight assembly sits.

7.) Reassemble everything and repeat these steps for the other side.