View Single Post
Old 09-16-2014, 03:16 PM   #11
aleros_eat_rice
GL Member

aleros_eat_rice is on a distinguished road
Use mass air flow cleaner. Some sites will say use brake parts cleaner, but it's not for the maf.
There isn't really a coating per se, but when you have it apart, don't touch the wires or anything inside the maf.
The way I did mine was to wait for the car to be off for a minute, then I unplugged the maf. Next, I used a torx bit to take out the 4 little bolts holding it together. After it was apart, held the maf away from the car and sprayed the maf cleaner on the wires and rods in the middle until clean. Mine went from black to gray. You'll want to wait until the maf is completely dry before starting the car, but maf cleaner evaporates rather quickly, so it won't take long.
Installation is reverse of removal.
One other thing, make sure the arrow that shows flow direction is facing the same way on reinstall as on removal. The arrow direction is toward the plenum, just in case.
275,000 miles as of 05-14-2015 at 1559 est (3:59 pm)
Planned mods: F body front brake upgrade, ported UIM, LX9 top swap, ported exhaust mans, performance cam. Eventually, turbo or supercharger.
1999 Olds Bravada, 4300 Vortec v6, 4L60E. Current mods (on it when I bought it):
75mm ported throttle body, NGK stage 1 plugs, stage 1 heads.
Planned mods: injector upgrade, exhaust headers

Last edited by aleros_eat_rice : 09-16-2014 at 10:46 PM.
aleros_eat_rice is offline   Reply With Quote