Thread: Fuel Mileage
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2005, 10:02 AM   #53
slalomking
GX Member

slalomking is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow, you guys w/ the over 30 MPGs (English units) should be estatic. My bone stock GL1 Ecotec w/ auto gets a rock steady 21.6-21.8 MPG in an 80/20 mix of suburban / interstate driving. Yes, I do 80 MPH on the interstate...but as an experiment, I held it to 65 for several weeks, and dismally found the MPG went 'up' from 21.6 to 21.9. Big deal.

I do all the maintainance stuff that helps MPGs...filters...oil, air pressure..yada yada....

I took it twice to the dealership. Ist time they said they replaced an electronic module or two and said 'it seems to run better'.

No change. Took it back.

THEN they showed me some reviews off the net from (as I recall) either Consumer Reports or Edmunds.com. The reviews were for an Ecotec auto Grand Am, getting...you guessed it...21.8 MPG.

They smiled, said 'your car is FINE', and handed the keys back to me.
Bastards.

So the obvious question is....how are you guys getting 30-40 MPG? I find this astounding, and frankly, something is not adding up w/ my car.