Thread: Headunit????
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2014, 03:49 AM   #10
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
This mostly depends on what price point you're looking at and what you want out of a head unit. If you want a cheap basic head unit, then go with JVC/Kenwood... yes JVC owns Kenwood and has owned Kenwood since 2006. The differences between them are mostly stylistic. The quality is very good on them.

If you want high end, then go with Alpine. Alpine's quality has gone down if you compare the Alpine of 2014 to the Alpine of 2003-2004. I'm not sure when's the last time you had an aftermarket radio in your car, but I can tell you that the lower end Alpines are too basic nowadays. The higher end ones are a lot better and have many features but you have to get them online from sonicelectronix or crutchfield. A lot of sound stores (in my area at least) still sell Alpine stuff from 2012. They don't carry the newer stuff. With Alpine, stuff like BBE is gone however the built in EQ in the higher end models is close as a full stand alone equalizer as you'll get. The settings is also pretty good at blocking certain frequencies for each pair of speakers. My only major gripe on the newer Alpines is their design language for their faceplates. Other that, I always recommend Alpine.

Another head unit brand you should look at is Clarion. Their head units are very nice and features come close to Alpine's.

Stay away from pioneer. I can't stand them.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote