View Single Post
Old 03-01-2005, 06:01 PM   #11
mike2002
GLS member

mike2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to mike2002
some of the coolant stuff is good, there's one made by"bars leak" they look like giant gerbal food pebbles. you can put a few of those in your antifreeze to slow down the leak. there 6 ping pong sized pebbles in a package

before everyone says "they clog radiators".....they dont. the metal shaving ones do. GM puts a few of these tablets in new cadillacs from the factory to insure everything is sealed up (3) used them in my last car when i had a leaking radiator and they held it off for the 4 weeks it took to special order a new radiator (95 aurora). its a soot pebble, that breaks up and flows through your coolant, when it meets air (LEAKS) it expands stopping the leak. they only cost like $2, but are very hard to find at parts stores, i found them at NAPA (only store i found that carried them). id use 4 or 5 depending on how bad the leak is (6 in a package)

ALSO, do NOT just put these in the overflow resiviour, that is a big NO NO. take of the hose going from the water pump to the radiator, find somewhere to insert them in the system, they will eventually make there way through the entire coolant system

this is only a temporary fix, but it held off my leaking radiator for a month before it started leaking again, then 3 weeks and i added more again, then i ordered one and it took 4 weeks to come

also, my engine was damp on both sides, and i thought i had that leak. i took it to the dealer (a mercedes one, where i got the car) and they said there were no problems, they pressure tested it and it was ok. then i payed the local pontiac/buick dealership to take a look at it since if it was bad, its no skin off there back, and they said its perfectly fine and holding all pressure, and its normal to weep a little bit.