View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #11
MMGT1
GLS member

MMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, I am a Welder Operator by trade and never, ever have I seen anyone use solvents to prep metal for welding. Through training in my 25 tickets including AWS, CWB, T.S.S.A. and NASA cert in Tig Aluminum the only one I ever had to use was alcohol. Under NASA certification I had to use Alcohol to wipe the aluminum TIG rods before using. If the rod touched any surface after the alcohol wipe it was to be discarded. Nowhere have I ever herd that it was a good idea to use a solvents on anything! If there was anything in the metal that needed removing, you grind, sand, wipe with clean rags, or torch. And always in a properly ventilated area. Hell, my welding helmet is feed by a fresh air respirator that keeps the helmet pressurized so nothing gets to my lungs without passing through a 4 stage filter that is strapped to my back! A 600 dollar investment that more people need to pop the coin on imo!!