Thread: ATF replacement
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2017, 09:05 PM   #10
That01Olds
GLS member

That01Olds is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreezeet1 View Post
Yeah, I knew a little of the history, She had the Intake gaskets replaced already.
Not sure if upper or lower, does the upper caus issues on the 3.4 also, or just the lower.
It was supposed to have been "well taken care of" But you know how that "could" go. I have heard to leave it alone too, if it was never changed.
Considering it started Banging into Drive, and reverse, Cause of the ECM upping the pressure, and the rislone took care of it, I best Pick Lever B.
I remember now, I was like on a 60 Mile Yard sale trip, all on Rt 40,
It was right before I got sick.
So it was Early June, of 2013. if anything, it seemed a little weak, and hesitant shifting for a while, if anything it's gotten better.
so its been shifting well, for 3 1/2 years.

Yeah, thankfully I knew the history of mine pretty well. The car was a 2001 model and had been in our family since 2002. It was my mom's car first, then my dad's, followed by me, and lastly it went to my sister who eventually ended up trading it in. So I knew it was well taken care of. Mine was a 2.4L, but I'm pretty sure it's just the lower gaskets that are known to fail on the 3.4L cars. Although if you're going to replace the lower it definitely doesn't hurt to just go ahead and replace the upper too while you're in there.

Yeah, this is true cause you never truly know how well someone took care of a used car. Especially an older one unless you knew the person who owned it personally. That's good that the rislone mitigated the problem though and it has been good since. My 2005 Mazda6 wagon liked to bang into reverse, but it would only do it when it was cold out and you started/moved the car for the first time. Otherwise any other time it would be fine. I suspected it would eventually become an issue, but thankfully I've since gotten rid of that car and didn't have to find out lol.
2005 Mazda6 S Wagon 3.0L V6 (MZI) (Sold).
2013 Mazda3 i Touring Sedan 2.0L I4 (Skyactiv-G) (Sold).
2010 Chevrolet HHR LT 2.2L I4 (LE8) (Sold).
1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GX 3.5L Twin Cam V6 (LX5) (Sold).
2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL 2.4L (LD9) (Sold).
That01Olds is offline   Reply With Quote