Thread: ATF replacement
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2017, 11:24 PM   #18
That01Olds
GLS member

That01Olds is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreezeet1 View Post
Yeah, I wasn't sure what gasket was pretty well famous for going bad on the 3.4. But she told be the intake gasket that "always goes out " was already replaced.
Must have been the lower.
I know it''s probably not that big of a job,
I did work as a general mechanic most of my life, But never did a lot of major motor work. , Yeah, few intakes, heads, on small block chevy s,
heads on 4 cylinder Motors, timing chains and belt.
But I'm retired, and do a little work on the side, But really don't care to have to do anything big, especially on my car for free.....lol.
Im Guilty of not really maintaining this car the way I did in the past, as I used to enjoy it as a hobby on my own cars,
But now, I only do something when It breaks. Just Had a blown steel brake like this summer, But when l pulled the air box, and battery,
and looked at the lines, I said, NO, Its getting every steel line on the car. Thats the only way to do it.
I would have been replacing a steel line every few weeks, or one line every month .
I'm thinking it might have been Lucas additive now.
Have trouble remembering things these days. But yeah, It WAS Lucas.

tell y'a though, it's a great running car.
esp. for 158,000 on it.
It's getting a little hard riding when hitting pot holes, and bumps,
Do have all 4 struts replaced ,well, Its been about 3 0r 4 years now,
They were Quick struts, or ready struts, You know, the full new springs and mounts. IMO, the only way to go. Its Win/Win , for the mechanic, and the customer,
Thinking about some new lower control arm bushings, But the whole Arm is pretty cheap on e bay. So, I might do that.
It's been needing a front passenger side window Motor, and regulator,
and the darn clips on the window broke too, So it's had the door panel off, (stored in the garage) and a stick wedged in there holding the glass up. The stick "looks better" than the Duck tape on the Out side of the window did......................lol
So now you see why I said it was Ratty looking enough, without having the A/C center vent Busted up.....LOL
Going on a Bit here, Thanks for the reply, and for reading.
What are you driving now?

Yeah, it is the lower that's notorious for failing. My parents had it happen on their Grand Am GT with the 3400 back when they had it. I'm pretty sure it was at over 100k miles when it finally went though. I love cars, I really do, but when it comes to maintenance I typically just do the routine stuff lol. Oil changes, wiper replacement, bulbs, change tires or the battery, etc. Little stuff like that. When it comes to major things it either goes to the dealer or a mechanic cause one I want it done right and two I don't have the patience for some of the bigger stuff.

Yeah, I'm very particular about the way I take care of my cars lol. A lot of it just has to do with the way I was raised and watching my dad and grandfather take really good care of their cars. They're great cars though. For sure. I've seen ones that are in really bad shape and they still are trucking along. Those window motors/regulators are another one of those things that are notorious for breaking on these cars. The clips are too. Trust me I'm pretty sure just about everyone who has owned one of these cars has replaced at least one at some point lol. I know 3 of the 4 on mine were replaced during the 9-10 years it was in my family.

Yeah, I definitely understand where you are coming from there lol and no problem. You're welcome. Currently I own a 2017 Volkswagen Jetta 5-Speed and a 2014 Mazda Miata. The VW is my daily whereas the Mazda is my weekend/toy car lol. I decided to go import back in 2013 cause GM doesn't really make anything I like anymore. Aside from the SS and Corvette and I'm not really a fan of Chrysler products (there are a few exceptions) and I'm definitely not a fan of Ford.
2005 Mazda6 S Wagon 3.0L V6 (MZI) (Sold).
2013 Mazda3 i Touring Sedan 2.0L I4 (Skyactiv-G) (Sold).
2010 Chevrolet HHR LT 2.2L I4 (LE8) (Sold).
1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GX 3.5L Twin Cam V6 (LX5) (Sold).
2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL 2.4L (LD9) (Sold).
That01Olds is offline   Reply With Quote