View Single Post
Old 10-30-2009, 01:15 PM   #30
widbyj
GL Member

widbyj is on a distinguished road
My 2 cents worth....

Superchargers (and probably turbos) DO add torque along with horsepower. Specifically, with the GM S/C on the 2.4L the torque increase is enough to cause some troubles with the tranny (sadly Malibus only came with auto) in 1st gear (slip/chatter) but 2nd on up are very strong (no 1/4 mile racing). The nice thing is that the torque and HP come on immediately, even at low RPMs.

Torque gets you started and HP keeps you moving.

The intake question is answered by 'depends'. With the GM S/C kit the intake is actually built in to the casting for the S/C so it replaces the factory intake altogether. With a turbo setup you have to run tubing for the air coming out of the turbocharger to go into the existing intake system, whether this is replaced with 'better' components would be a seperate issue.

Camshaft tuning involves rotating the camshaft away from the 'normal' timing position, this requires special camshaft drive gears that have adjustable locking points built-in (hard to find if not impossible - some guys build their own). The idea is to alter the timing of when the valves open to allow for improved airflow. It's probably more beneficial to find cams with a longer 'duration' and higher 'lift' which provide for more airflow. Note that this can be very tricky to do properly and can cause other troubles...

The 2.4L engine has 4 valves per cylinder. I don't have a V6...

The GM S/C kit retains the original cams, valves and springs but it doesn't raise boost much - to stay in warranty. It can easily be made to do more with different pulleys to drive it. So nothing special is required BUT I'm gathering parts for a real S/C build (secret cams, p&p head, oversize valves with beehive springs, etc...) as I know this motor can do much more.

Main thing to watch for is sufficient fuel flow. Any boosted engine that runs too lean for any reason will overheat internally and cause lots of trouble. Luckily for me it was just shattered rings....

Most of my comments may not apply to your car, as far as I know there is not any real S/C available for the V6s. Good luck and keep asking questions until you feel that you understand, that's how you learn.
widbyj is offline   Reply With Quote