View Single Post
Old 03-28-2021, 07:18 PM   #22
dbral
GX Member

dbral is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I drove it a few miles yesterday and initial impressions are that I need to re-calibrate my right foot. My wife looked at our vehicle insurance app and I was flagged for heavy acceleration several times, so I got throttled for that (he he he....get it?).
Anyway, this thing rips pretty good. Especially once the tach needle swings past 4000rpm; seems like you're at redline in the blink of an eye. I can't even fathom how insane Chris's car is with 600+ HP.
Problems? Sure. The transmission is very clunky at low speeds (like when you're crawling around a parking lot). It's compounded my the fact that the engine doesn't like puttering around. And if you're at low-ish speeds and making a turn and push in the clutch (like turning into a parking spot or my subdivision), the engine dies. But that's related to the computer calibration in that we don't have a bunch of tables to fine tune it. I do not have the stomach to change to a stand-alone EMS - I'm in way too deep as it is.
But such is life. I'll try to have fun with it and stay out of jail.
Oh, and I'm on a stock timing set and rocker arms. I do not believe that time-serts were used in the heads.
Happy to hear that the new set-up is healthy and I guess the low rpm issues are just the nature of the beast so to speak. We all know that it is capable of a smooth sustained idle when the conditions are right so I am with you guys in your thinking that there is an issue with the tune. I understand completely why you would not want to go further with it in that respect and who knows, it might be happy and fine once you start to see some summer-ish temps up there. If all of the pieces of my puzzle arrive I might go the route you and Ion suggest for your car (stand-alone) and see what happens with mine. Kindly report back in the summer if you get a chance and let me know if there is any difference in the driveability. Thanks in advance. 10-4 on the valve-train info. Going to do the time-serts on mine but most likely no on the rocker upgrade.

Quote:
standalone is awesome. you don't need it, but it would let you make it run very nice and extract the absolute most power possible. in my specific scenario, it was $1500 ECU, $1340 AEM display, and labor/wiring.
Ion, What's the name of the system are you running?