View Single Post
Old 07-02-2009, 02:12 PM   #6
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Take off the wheel

Use a 13 mm bolt of the calipers a 15 mm on the brackets (removal of bolts is in the same directon that the lug nuts go on, since the bolts are facing the oppiste way, I always have truoble with this)

Rotor just comes off after removal of bracket and caliper

Use a "C" clamp to push teh piston back into the housing of the caliper (I put one of the old brake pads over the piston so I don't have to put the "C" clamp totally inside the piston

Use brake clean on the rotors only, spray on both sides of rotor, let dry and wipe rotor (drying takes all of 4 seconds)

Put rotor on hub

put on bracket

put on caliper

Get in car, start engine, and pump up brakes. The pedal WILL go to the floor. You'll have to do this a few times to get the pedal back.

Drive around the block a few times, makeing complete stops from 10, then 20, then 30, (then 40 and 50 if they are perfromance brakes) but do not jam on them for at least the frist 200 miles or so (300 to 400 according to EBC perfromance brakes)

Now one side of my front brakes sport 12 and 13 mm bolts those bolts had to be replaced, keep that in mind. I rounded them by turning the wrong way. What I do is put a lug nut on the hub and turn as if I was putting it on the car, then I turn the caliper and bracket bolts the same way

I would take off the wheels and at least loosen all the bolts first JUST LOOSEN only do one side at a time, but be sure you can get all the bolts off first. You must do one axle per brake service, not one wheel

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote