View Single Post
Old 05-29-2012, 08:07 AM   #24
Starglow
GX Member

Starglow is on a distinguished road
A few of my front swaybar install pictures....

I hope these pictures are of some value to anyone who bought the new swaybars and are deciding if they want to tackle this job themselves or not. It's not overly difficult but does require some time and patience along with a few bruised knuckles and bumps on the head. It can be dangerous if you're a novice mechanic and don't really know what you're doing so seek out an experienced helper if you're unsure of your mechanical abilities.

The installed swaybar in place....1999 Pontiac Grand AM SE

Passenger side view...I used the bushings sent with the bars and the stock brackets. I tried installing Energy Suspension greaseable bushings but the supplied brackets simply would not mount correctly even with modifications.

Driver's side view....I'm still struggling trying to get the new endlinks installed.

I ended up putting a few shim washers under the stock brackets on each side to account for the extra swaybar thickness over stock because the bracket bolts would never bottom out on the subframe like stock with these bars and I wanted the bolts to be rock solid tight.

Better view of installed bar.....

A few other tidbits....I highly recommend removing the intermediate steering shaft from the steering rack before dropping the subframe. Simply lift up the rubber boot and remove the pinch bolt, then push the intermediate steering shaft up and off the stub on the steering rack. Sorry I did not take a picture of that, but it's real simple although working space is a bit tight in that area.

Finally, my car does not currently have an engine installed because I'm in the process of doing a 3500 engine swap, so I attached my engine hoist to the transmission to hold it up while I loosened the trans mounts and lowered the subframe. I hope to drop the 3500 engine in next weekend weather permitting and will install the new rear swaybar after the engine is installed.
Starglow is offline   Reply With Quote