Thread: Pesky Vibration
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2016, 10:55 AM   #9
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
Cheapo tires, Chinese tires, and some "High Performance" tires from Japan will start to do this after 10,000 miles.

I had Sumitoro HTR+'s on my Alero back in the day, after 10,000 miles, they shook and vibrated like what you are saying. By 20,000 miles, they where shaking pretty bad and less than 4/32nd tread which is usually when I replace them.

A mechanic told me, "You only should buy one of these 4 brands of tire: Goodyear, Michelin, BF Goodrich, or Pirelli." My mechanic now likes Continental for all rubber products (He used a Continental timing belt set on my Volvo, which is the brand Volvo suggests anyway) I'm looking at their DWS 06 tires now for the Alero.

I don't care for Goodyear, Michelins are very expensive and they dry rot.

Dunlops = Goodyear, and seem to be pretty good.
BF Goodrich = Michelin, but I don't know if they dry rot like Michelins do. They aren't as pricey as Michelins and are usually made in SC just the same.

I would think that Yokohama's should rank up there with the good ones, but they do develop the little cracks on the sidewalls like the Michelins if you park it outside.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote