Thread: Gas Fumes
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2011, 02:01 PM   #47
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
I've probably posted this before, but the only time I had an incident related to what you have there was at the track. The first symtoms were missing, poor performance, bad idling.

Then I had it parked in the pit area till it cooled. When I tried to start it, there was the strong smell of raw fuel around the car. Some guys immediately said "That's a stuck injector." Could be, but no leaks, puddles or anything to indicate where the fuel smell came from.

The car became harder to start, each time the raw fuel smell got worse, the missing got worse, and finally white mist of burning antifreeze came out of the exhaust pipe. Lucky for me Mike (N2-OLDS) had a trailer there and I was able to drive it on and off, and finally into my garage.

The trouble was a bad LIM gasket, and probably a stuck injector, but it was never clear exactly where the fuel exited the engine area. I suspect it made its way past the LIM somehow.

In any event, I took off the intake and found its leak, and replaced both the LIM gasket and the injectors, just to be safe.