Thread: CAI and water
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2003, 03:32 PM   #1
havik

Quote:
Almost everybody looking to modify their Alero 2.4 are looking into CAI. Most (probably all) CAI locate the filter in the front bumper, behind the fog lamps...

Isn’t that an odd place to put the air filter? ok, it's the perfect place for temperature and flow, but what about water coming onto the engine from the air filter ? You know, when you drive in a pothole and the water splash 10' in the air.... what about the poor air filter sitting at 8" from the ground.... ?

Quote:
no problems last winter or this spring (not much rain so this summer) worst i've seen so far is water hitting the block and steam comming off no problem with the intake though, the 3.4 guys put their's down there as well and none of them have had problems, unless maybe you drive through like 8" of water.

Quote:

Quote:
unless maybe you drive through like 8" of water.
Not really, but i'm looking to make one my self, like a lot of poeple... and i read on a site, once, that CAI, unlike the stock intake, could let water in beacause it's very "direct" to the TB.

is a "do it youre self" CAI as efficient as the ones we can buy ?

Quote:
probably. The main benefits of a CAI are 1. colder air, duh 2. less resistance to intake (less curves, turns, and smoother surfaces) so the air will flow through the intake at a higher velocity, 3. they are usually larger in dia. than the stock setup, allowing more air toenter the TB.

Quote:
you won't have anything to worry about unless you somehow manage to totally submerge your filter in water.... i have a custom made cai and i've had no problems with water even with the filter wet a little... you don't have to worry

Quote:
THis is what we installed mine into, notice all the salt, sand, and snow. I drove from Colorado Springs, CO to omaha, NE like 600 miles w/o and problems right after that and have seen a full winter and spring with no problems