View Single Post
Old 03-25-2012, 04:34 PM   #17
Philbar71
GL Member

Philbar71 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsman View Post
The 2.3 oil pump swap you can do but not really necessary. It is a good mod to do but unless your looking to squeeze every ounce of power out of the 2.4. But if your plan is the s/c I would spend the money more on a very good polish and port job on the head. That would be better money spent.

Far as other machine work I would have crank cross drilled and even knife edged the throws. Go with the eagle rods and weisco pistons. Have at least the piston skirts coated.

Well, the stock oil pump cavitates the oil above 5800 RPM Right? When I like to drive it hard, I usually keep it right at the redline. (which, yes, I know is probably why the bearings are gone in it now) Also, by removing the balance shafts, it allows the engine to spin a little more freely.

Now what do you mean have the crank "knife edged"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXManwhoreXx View Post
Craigslist or junkyard if your having the motor going through you can get a bore and start fresh with plus size pistons.

I would have them also Magnaflux the block and head, soda blast, than iff you are getting new pistons have them deburred and the tops smoothed out, and the rest is obvious things you should have them do.

I'm not positive but I know with my honda I had to notch my block to give proper room for full rod expansion with heat, look into the clearance of the rods end cap with the main girdle and the rod shaft with the cylinder walls at half stroke. You don't want any contact at 6k....

Yes! After market rods and pistons are a great idea especially if your shooting for anything over factory HP.

Yes! High compression is always great for any kind of boost and if you are able to do it now it would make the S/C setup much more powerful than a lower compression setup that was identical other than compression.

I am a strong believe on Cometic headgaskets... literally bullet proof. Unless you are Chris and do Wot passes with a cold engine.

I will probably go with a Cometic gasket and copper spray, because, I NEVER want to have to touch the internals again.

Thanks for the help everybody!