Thread: New old member
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2007, 12:37 AM   #17
smokinAMD
V.I.P. Member

smokinAMD is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to smokinAMD Send a message via AIM to smokinAMD Send a message via MSN to smokinAMD Send a message via Yahoo to smokinAMD
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyertrain View Post
ha, you were one of the first that i remember to leave the alero for another car. nice to have you back smokin, and those are 2 really gorgeous 3's...

and how did you put 200k miles on your first 3 in 2 years??? wowzers thats a lot of miles...

I was driving about 250 miles a day for quite some time, and then my parents moved to Texas, so I went to visit them a few times, visiting family in Colorado, visiting family in Nebraska, visiting friends in Chicago, Went to North Carolina like 7 times, Kentucky a few times, New Orleans twice.

I really miss that 3, if I could have kept it, I would have, but I was offered such a good deal on trade I would have been stupid to pass it up. A lot of blood, sweat, and tears went into that car. It only left me stranded once which is more then I could say for the old Alero. But of course it left me stranded 950 miles from home, and I had to tow the bitch home. Hence the picture of no engine under the hood, that was a fun experience, but I built it even better and stronger after that incident.

I can tell you this much, working on the Alero can be a lot easier then working on a Mazda. For one, you don't have to remove the damn bumper to change turn signal bulbs on the Alero. At least thats the case with the Factory HID's on the speed, I didn't have factory HIDs in the sedan, so I didn't have to remove the bumper to change a stupid turn signal bulb. You can also remove the stock exhaust on the alero in one piece without dropping the rear suspension like you have to do on the 3. I was less than pleased to find out I had to cut my stock exhaust in half to get it off the 3's. Also less then pleased to have to weld it back together when I took the sedan back to stock to trade it in.

Alero also has both 3's beat in replacment part costs. HANDS DOWN! Fine example, throwout bearing for a the 3s sedan I had, $127. For the alero? Yeah, I got an entire clutch kit, pressure plate, disc, throwout bearing for $150. Granted, I didn't need to replace the clutch in the 3, but I had the motor out of the car to do work on it, so I figured I might as well. And don't get me started about how much I perfer the tire pressure monitoring system in the Alero compared to the speed 3, my sedan didn't have it thankfully.

I don't know, I might do an intake on the Alero, it's really strange to drive a quiet car, LOL. I question if the car is running sometimes, untill I look down at the tach. The old 3 sedan, with a header, no cats, no resonator, 2.5 inch piping, and just a muffler, you knew it was running. Had a pretty good rumble to it. And the speed 3 with a nearly solid rear motor mount, no cats, no resonator, no muffler, just 3 inch turbo back exhaust, you REALLY know its running. Between the vibrations and the loud growl, its unmistakeable. It's not as loud as you would think, the turbo quiets it down quite a bit. I might throw in the infinity kappa speakers I had in my 3 sedan in the Alero as well, thought about putting them in the speed, but the Bose package really isn't THAT bad, could definantly be better though.

I'm actually enjoying this alero a lot more then I thought I would be. BTW, it is sporting some aleromod.com decals, I found some the other day when I was going through some boxes in the storage room of my apartment. I could have sworn I put them all on my old Alero, I guess not. I do plan on getting the windows tinted here soon, I can't stand this fish tank thing thats going on, it's pretty lame. I feel naked without my tint!
smokinAMD is offline   Reply With Quote