View Single Post
Old 03-14-2010, 08:35 AM   #23
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XanderWiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TdotAlero View Post
For the tires, if you were to choose between the two choices posted, Michelin Pilot all the way (if you can pay for them). At work, many people choose to go second hand tires. For about half a price of brand new, you get a tire with about 80% thread left. The winter tire you posted is good too. But you can't use it in summer - soft rubber will burn too fast. Buy two sets or better, here's the alternative I have. I'm running 18" with Michelin Pilots in the summer. In winter I put on my stock 15" steel rims with Pirelli Snow tires. Best combo ever.

This actually helps a TON! Because I never thought about the rubber being harder or softer for winter/summer. I do plan to keep my 15's for just what you described-but that is in case I go back to Ohio. Other than that I am in El Paso-and though it gets cold during the night and mornings it is hot as balls the majority of the time.

I read on some of those tires that they get them hot so they stick better and all that jive. I have no idea what design of tire to get-some of the tires they say get so hot and sticky that it is great for racing but you lose mpg-I don't want that! A nice grand touring tire seems like it would do: something that looks and rides nice but isn't going to throw me off the road.

So I feel stuck. They throw 100 different sets and sifting through them is proving to be tedious and difficult.