Old 11-11-2010, 09:06 PM   #54
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowpros24 View Post
First off i didn't start a post talking about something I don't know
get your fact right.
second why ? my knowledge, dude im 25 im sure I know the more than just the basic and know how things work, otherwise I wouldnt be posting up shit, cause I would just sound stupid, but theres nothing I put down that was wrong. and your making it sound like I dont know what im talking about.
whats a capacitor? it's basically power storages in the car, and accumulate power whenever it is not required. This power is released when the demand for power exceeds the supply in your car. and also necessary to supplement the regular power supply of the car in order to ensure the smooth functioning of the amplifier, my opinion use a seperate battery for the supplement. so like i said If you car lights dim when your system produces a deep bass note, then your amp will be greatly helped with a car audio capacitor.

Actually most of this is wrong also. Ya I know, go figure some random information copied and pasted around the interwebz could be wrong??? No its online it MUST be true!

It all starts with the alternator. If you dont have a proper charging system your shit is going to fail- its only a matter of time. Thats the bottom line.

Deeper you say? Fine.

Now once you are drawing over 125% of your rated alternator the brushes in the alternator start to burn. What this means is that if you voltage rail is sagging bellow battery voltage you will be burning up alternators. Adding more batteries only makes the demand on the alternator more. Adding more capacitors is almost worse...

More more more??? OK baby...

Capacitors... Well its short term storage. In what a capacitor can output in one second it takes 5 seconds to fully recharge. What does this mean you ask? Well it means if you have a demand that forces a draw from the capacitor then and the cap becomes depleted during this draw or one close by, the voltage will sag. It will make it worse because not only is the amplifier consuming power, the capacitor is recharging also. So its a double whammy.

Bottom line is alternator #1. Extra batteries help, but its a band aide. Capacitors- good when you have the proper charging system to back them. Ideally you would have all three. proper alternator, extra batteries and a nice cap bank for the transients.