View Single Post
Old 05-03-2005, 07:29 PM   #30
mike2002
GLS member

mike2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to mike2002
[/quote]

yeah i have no idea where headers came into this conversation.
[/quote]

headers came into the conversation because someone said "why would i go from a 2.5" header to a 2.25" exhaust" well i explained how/why headers are the way they are because a explanation was obviously needed if you think you need 2.5" exhaust because the header has a 2.5" outlet.

[/quote]
going big to small from the engine back? good question. doesnt make much sense to me. if you have 2.5" going into 2.25" towards the back its just going to cause restriction trying to squeeze the amount of exhaust in the bigger pipe down into the small one. restriction is bad.

depending on mods 2.25" is good for small 4 cylinders, 2.25-2.5" for larger 4's and small 6's, and 2.5" for larger 6's. 3400's are decent sized v6 engines. you need room to flow that much exhaust. you'll be happy with 2.5". and trust me, 2.5" piping will do you more good than just being able to brag to 12 year old girls that you have a big exhaust. and if you decide that you do want headers, you'll even gain a little more. like i said before, its all about the little gains here and there that add up.
[/quote]

i didn't think i had to explain the reason why you wouldn't want 2.5" AGAIN, but for kicks, i guess i do. with 2.5" you dont have enough veloicty to get good torque from the engine. the headers are 2.5" to accomadate such things as heavy mods, which you dont have. the larger size of the headers IS NOT NEEDED in your application, your car is NOT benifiting from 2.5" over 2.25" in the header. its benifiting from the other things i already explained in a previous post, which is why i explained them. please read this again, and again

a 170hp pushrod v6 does not benifit from 2.5", it hurts it. my friend just ordered a borla exhaust kit for his CORVETTE and its 2.5", its a 99ls1. so do you think if this 5.7L 345hp car needed only 2.5, you also need it? LMAO. you dont need 2.5" unless you were running at least 300hp. i dont really car if you put it on your car, but im just trying to prove a point

[/quote]
uh, trust me aluminum does not rust....i am a welder. it corrodes and the welds can rust yes.[/quote]

UH trust me, ive had aftermarket aluminum exhaust and the person i sold it to just told me it rusted through, and then i saw it (sold the car to a family member)corrodes or rusted, the whole thing is shot, and not just at the welds, the pipe is all brown with what looks like rust, but i guess its somthing else.