View Single Post
Old 12-07-2014, 01:49 PM   #1
WreckItRoth
GX Member

WreckItRoth is on a distinguished road
My 03 Alero Coupe. Work in Progress.

I bought my car from my school for 500 bucks with a messed up tranny but a running engine. The first thing i bought was a tsudo 4-2-1 header from ebay.

i knew it was meant for a cavalier/sunfire but i got it anyways. It curved right into my subframe so i cut out part of the frame and welded a new peice in so that the header could fit properly.

I got it on and although i noticed a significant differnce my exhaust was still being restricted and it looked like shit under the hood. Especially the blue filter shit. I ended up melting the Cat so i figured it was time to finish the exhaust. I ordered a magnaflow muffler and stainless steel tips. Then bought a thrush glass pack to replace the resonator. To trick the cpu into thinking i still had a catalytic converter i bought spark plug non-foulers and drilled out one end. Then removed the 02 sensor downstream and put the foulers in, the sensor. It pulled it out of the exhaust stream enough that the service engine light does not come on and my fuel mileage is still averaged around 30. I cut and welded everything.

Straight pipe where Cat used to be

Here's the 02 sensor trick. (next to a temporary patch)

rest of exhaust

Then i pulled the engine and dropped the tranny in from Sunfire. Only had 40k miles on it.

Pulled it and sanded the block and tran then painted before i dropped it back in.

dropped it in and color matched a few things.

About 3 weeks ago the car was sounding fun and then simply wouldnt start. I checked everything and nothing seemed to line up so all i could think was my timing got effed. I pulled the valve cover and there was alot of slack in the chain i figured i might as well do the headgasket since i was this far and so i pulled the head. Thank God i did. I thought the head was fine however the timing chakn guide that bolts into the head had broke and the bolt had wollow a hole in the head and snapped off.

after looking a little more at the head there was some problems and valves werent all sealing properly so i scrapped the old head got one from a grand am in the junkyard. 100k miles and the head for only... 50 bucks. Lol it had alot of corrosion so i spent about 7hrs sanding and then painted to match the block.

I figured since the header was off i might as well wrap it. In the summer time if i was caught in rush hour traffic that thing would often get so hot it would cause everything else to heat alot hotter and make my engine runner higher temo than normal.

I got kinda sick of the color scheme so i mixed it up some.
This is the finished product.
I just recently ordered a cosmo racing intake but its been stuck in customs or something idk. Shipping feels like its been forever.

I blacked out the center of the front bumper.

Heres some other pics during the project i forgot about

[url=http://s1377.photobucket.com/user/WreckItRoth/media/Mobile%20Uploads/FB_IMG_1417976750409_zpssz2olnej.jpg.html][IMG]