View Single Post
Old 01-12-2012, 06:43 PM   #6
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Look through any of my head gasket threads for pictures of most steps to familiarize yourself with what you'll see as you unbolt things.

Use an oil paint marker to put two marks on the timing chain and crank/cam sprockets at each of those locations. When you put the chain back on it makes it significantly easier to properly have everything in time. You'll be surprised at how you might've put it on without the marks; you can experiment with lining it up one chain link over on the crank and see how it is very possible to accidentally time it wrong.

Install the tensioner itself. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE TINY BOLTS THAT HOLD IT TO THE HOUSING. I have. Then chain goes on the exhaust sprocket first, then the intake, while you're holding the intake a little bit rearward with a socket wrench. When you release, your wrench, there should be some tension in the chain between the cam sprockets. Then all you do is wrap it around the crank teeth and loosely let it rest under the water pump sprocket, and slide on the tensioner shoe (will probably be somewhat hard to do). Then BE SURE TO RELEASE THE TENSIONER with a screwdriver so it pushes on the shoe against the chain. Or else.

Get a piece of wood to use to jack up the engine while you remove the passenger side engine mount.

Use this guide for any technical information on how to disassemble/reassemble the stuff you're touching.

It'll take a while... I'd rather go slow and be sure everything is bolted down nice and proper and everything was done than speed through it and miss something. Those damn 10mm bolts holding the timing cover on take forever to undo.

And don't forget the 4 bolts holding the timing cover housing to the block, on the bottom of the housing..
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote